How to show “now playing” (i.e. scrobble); from Spotify in your WordPress blog.
This is quite easy to set up; the detour through Last.fm might not be needed in the future. There’s no plugin for scrobbling directly from Spotify to WordPress yet, so Last.fm serves as a proxy from Spotify to WordPress (but also as a scrobbler for iPod/iTunes to WordPress, so you might want to keep Last.fm running even if there’s a future Spotify/Wordpress plugin).
Update 20150916. Now on 4.3, the Last.fm for WordPress for WP plugin installed through dashboard does no longer work. Experimenting with other plugins.
- Configure Spotify (Edit/Preferences/Last.fm/Enable scrobbling to last.fm and enter your Last.fm details)
- Install the Last.fm media player and keep both Spotify and Last.fm running
- Install the plugin
- Configure the plugin in your WordPress blog (Appearance/Widgets)
- Set up your WordPress template to show the widget in ie the sidebar
- The played tracks should show up (I use the “Now playing” header)